Each spring the UMAA in partnership with the Senate Committee on Educational Policy, and the Office of the Executive Vice President and Provost honor the recipients of the Morse-Alumni awards and the Graduate and Professional Teaching awards.
These recipients are inducted into the Academy of Distinguished Teachers and carry the designation of Distinguished University Teaching Professor (faculty) or Distinguished University Teacher (P&A) throughout their careers at the University of Minnesota.
The University of Minnesota Alumni Association awards $50,000 annually to the recipients of the Horace T. Morse award – these funds are used to further their college research initiatives.
This year’s recipients were honored during a ceremony on Tuesday, April 17 from 3:30p-6:30p in McNamara Alumni Center.
Horace T. Morse - University of Minnesota Alumni Association Award for Outstanding Contributions to Undergraduate Education:
- Geoffrey Bell, Management Studies/University of Minnesota Duluth
- Sheryl Breen, Political Science/University of Minnesota Morris
- Mitra Emad, Anthropology, Sociology and Criminology/University of Minnesota Duluth
- David Fox, Earth Sciences/College of Science and Engineering
- Jonathan Gewirtz, Psychology/College of Liberal Arts
- David Matthes, Biology Teaching and Learning/College of Biological Sciences
- Keith Mayes, African American and African Studies/College of Liberal Arts
- Tracy Otten, Studio Art/University of Minnesota Morris
Award for Outstanding Contributions to Graduate and Professional Education:
- Victor Barocas, Biomedical Engineering/College of Science and Engineering
- Bradley Clary, Law School
- E. Dan Dahlberg, School of Physics and Astronomy/College of Science and Engineering
- Barbara Martinson, Design, Housing and Apparel/College of Design
- Chris Paola, Earth Sciences/College of Science and Engineering
- Robert Porter, Veterinary Population Medicine/College of Veterinary Medicine
- Alexander Rothman, Psychology/College of Liberal Arts
- Barbara Young Welke, History and Law/College of Liberal Arts and Law School